“The buffalo represents the people and the universe and should always be treated with respect. For was he not here before the two-legged peoples, and is he not generous in that he gives us our homes and our food?“ – Oglala Sioux holy man Black Elk, The Sacred Pipe, 1953
Hi Three to Five Tribe! Today, I want to share with you a brand that I have fallen in love with, The Honest Bison. The Honest Bison is on a mission to change the way we eat by providing high quality bison meat that is 100% grassfed and is humanely and sustainably raised. There are no grains, hormones, chemicals, or preservatives added to the bison meat, giving it the coveted Whole30 stamp of approval, which is no small feat!
I have nothing but great things to say about The Honest Bison, but that is for a future post, okay let’s be real, more like multiple posts. (There is just so much to share!) For now though, let’s just start with the basics.
Grassfed Bison Meat
- Bison meat is a leaner and a healthier source of protein compared to other sources like beef.
- A grassfed diet is not only healthier for the bison, but healthier for you and the Earth as well.
- The vitamins the bison eat go right into the meat, which means you receive those same vitamins upon consumption.
- Bison meat is rich in flavor and has a delicious taste.
- Bison meat is an efficient source of protein with an incredibly high turnover allowing our bodies to use it right away instead of storing it for later use.
- Bison meat is high in CLAS. Wait…hold up! What is a CLA? CLAs are related to Omega-6 fatty acids, which is one of the two types of essential fatty acids that help keep the body healthy. (Think boosting immune health and keeping cholesterol levels in check). Keep in mind the term “essential fatty acids,” which means these cannot be produced by the body, so in order to get these good guys into your system you have to eat them. Pass the bison meat please!
- Bison meat is also high in Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s help decrease the risk of heart disease including high cholesterol and high blood pressure. O-3s also support healthy brain function and couldn’t we all afford to be a bit smarter? Kidding…Kind of!
We are what we eat, so what we eat matters, which is why The Honest Bison remains true to their animals ergo true to us.
Feel good about what you eat and head over to The Honest Bison to learn more about this amazing brand!
Live Happy, Healthy & Fabulously – Three to Five meals at a time,